- 75g fine oats or plain wholegrain flour
- 200g Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 125g of unsalted butter, melted
- 75g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 75ml of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod or 1-2 tsp of good quality vanilla extract
Makes 28 brownie squares at only 82 kcals per 24g squares
- Preheat the oven to 180 (fan 160)/350/ gas mark 4.
- Grease and line an 18cm square baking tin with grease proof paper.
- Put the oats into a food processor and blend until they make a fine powder, or like wholegrain flour. Skip this step if you’re already using flour.
- Add the dates, butter, cocoa powder, almond milk, eggs, baking powder and vanilla seeds/vanilla extract to the food processor with the oats/flour and bland until they combine to make a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin, using a spatula to get all the mixture out. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. They should be firm on top but still slightly gooey in the centre.
- Leave to cool on a wire wrack before cutting into 9 squares