- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- ¼ head of celery, chopped
- 2 tomatoes peeled (to peel a tomato pierce it with a sharp knife then place it in a cup of boiling water for about 1 minute. When you take it out you should be able to just pull the skin away).
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1litre of vegetable stock
- 3 level tbsp of flour
- A little milk
- Dried herbs such as parsley, oregano, thyme or rosemary
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onions until soft and golden in colour.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, celery and skinned tomato. Cook the vegetables for a few minutes until tender, stirring all the time.
- Add the salt & pepper, stock and herbs and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
- Mix the flour with a little cold milk, then add to the soup.
- Bring to the boil stirring all the time, then serve with toasted bread.