- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts cut into pieces (or you could use prawns or tofu as an alternative to chicken)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- Tinned pineapple (in juice). Cut the pineapple into chunks
- Rice to serve
Sweet & sour sauce
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- ½ tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp pineapple juice (from the tinned pineapple)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a high heat and cook the chicken for 5 minutes to seal in the juices, then scoop out onto a plate.
- Stir-fry the peppers, carrot and onion for 5 minutes until cooked al denté (not too soft, cooked with a bite).
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the cornflour and sugar into a small bowl, stir in the pineapple juice, soy and vinegar until smooth, then add the ketchup and 100ml of water.
- Pour into the pan, add the chicken and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through the pineapple chunks for the final 2 minutes of cooking to warm through.
- Serve with basmati rice.